International Moving Tips
Moving house is an important and potentially exciting event in your life. At Surrey-removals-firm Movers International, we will do everything to make it a hassle-free experience, offering additional packing and storage services and advice, whenever necessary. We hope that this list of Moving Tips we have compiled will help you prepare for the move.
- Prepare Ahead – When moving house, you will have to organise many things ahead of time. Make a list of the things you have to do. Get plenty of packing material, think about the furniture and other belongings that you want to move, and the items you need to leave behind. If you have small children, or pets, for example, you will also have to organise care for them. Use Surrey-removals-firm’s Moving Checklist to have an overview of the things you need to take care of.
- Moving boxes – You may have already bought your new home, but to get the moving process going, it is essential to get moving boxes and other packing material. You can choose from a wide range of quality boxes and other packaging when you contact your nearest Surrey-removals-firm office, or you may decide to get hold of moving boxes from shops in your neighbourhood for example.
- Communicating with your moving company – It is essential to choose a moving company that is willing to help you whenever you need advice, and with whom you can communicate effectively. Establish the date of moving well ahead, do not be afraid to discuss anything you need to know, and confirm the removal again a few days before the moving day as well, to avoid any misunderstandings. At Surrey-removals-firm Movers International, we always aim to provide advice and information our customers need, so do not hesitate to contact us.
- Access for the removal van – Think about how the removal van can access your current and future home, advise your neighbours that the van will be parking outside your house, and get any necessary permits.
- Decide what to take and what to leave behind – You will not necessarily want to take everything with you, especially if you are moving abroad. Make a list of the things you are definitely taking with you – It is also useful to have an inventory when you are unpacking, and it is a requirement at customs when you are moving abroad. Don’t just throw away the items you are leaving behind. Ask your relatives and friends if they want anything, give the things to charities, or organise a garage sale.
- Think about your new home – Draw up a map of your new home. If it is considerably smaller than your current home for example, you definitely need to leave some things behind. If you start packing based on how you are planning to unpack in your new home, moving in will be much easier.
- Packing – You can either order a professional packing service from your removal company, which is highly recommended if you are moving abroad, or if you have many fragile and valuable items, or you can decide to pack yourself. If you will be packing yourself, you should start packing your items a few weeks before the moving day, and go through everything systematically. Label moving boxes clearly, and pack essential items only in the last few days. Don’t put too many or too few items into one box.
- Notify gas, electric, gas and water companies in advance – As you are changing address, you will have to notify these companies, banks, friends and relatives to send your mail to your new address. Notify your employer, and if you have any children, you will have to take care of changing schools as well.
- Do not pack personal documents, jewellery and money – You might need these items during the removal, or while they are in storage. Don’t pack items that you will need right after you move in, or always keep track of where you are putting them.
- Research the area where you are moving – If you are moving to Europe or overseas, it is very important to get to know as much about the new country as you can, before moving there. This way, the transition will hopefully not be stressful for you and your family. Even if you are moving within the UK, it is advisable to get to know as much about the new area and the neighbourhood as you can.
- Be present on the moving day – To ensure that everything goes as planned with the removal team, it is important to be present on the moving day
- Check your old home once more – Check that you have not left any items behind. Also turn off gas, electricity and close all the windows.
- Moving Abroad? Find out more about our international removals.
- To find out more about emigration abroad, check out our emigration blog.
- Read more about our UK removals services.